About Laser marking:
Laser marking is a permanent process that uses a beam of concentrated light to create a long-lasting mark on a surface. It is typically performed with a fibre, pulsed, continuous wave or UV laser machine which encompasses a wide variety of applications.
Laser marking can be automated and processed at high speeds, while leaving permanent traceability marks on a range of materials, including steel, titanium, aluminium, copper, ceramic, plastic, glass, wood, paper, and cardboard.
Traditionally, manufacturers had to mark a surface with a pattern such as a barcode, image or text by engraving or screen printing. These processes were both costly, non-permanent and often damaged parts.Hence, laser marking method was introduced.
Here is why laser marking is a necessary step in manufacturing process:
1. The implementation of laser marking enable engineers to create characters, numbers or images without compromising the physical properties of a part. Instead of using a physical tool to etch the surface or transmit ink, this process uses focused laser light to produce damage-free, easy-to-read marks.
Parts and products can be marked with text (including serial numbers and part numbers); machine-readable data (such as barcodes, Unique ID codes, and 2D Data Matrix codes); or graphics.
2. Other marking processes, such as inkjet or chemical etching, use inks and chemicals in their marking that is not only expensive consumables for the business, but has a negative effect on the environment. Laser marking, on the other hand, does not use any consumablesmaking itclean, affordable and energy efficient.
3. Many government regulations require some sort of identification to comply with laws that uphold quality, traceability and other safety standards. For instance, automotive companies use part traceability to quickly determine when and where a part was produced in the case of a component failure for aiding in recalls.
4. Another benefit of laser marking is the ability to connect with the IoT. Previously, large manufacturers with multiple laser marking machines would have to manually upload a new job each time there was a new order (which was an inefficient process). Laser marking and traceability developed a system to meet the needs of smart manufacturers by streamlining this process, connecting automation and laser marking to the IoT.
5. Counterfeiting has a huge impact on the global pharmaceutical industry, it is not only illegal, but has many social and economic implications. It’s estimated that 10 percent of global pharmaceutical sales are counterfeit products.
Laser marking is a solution for pharmaceutical industry as they are tamper-proof, easy to read, compatible with the environment and cannot altered easily.
With laser marking, it doesn’t leave any external residue or damages the product surface. Instead, laser light is focused onto a material to produce damage-free marks.Mikro Innotech Pvt. Ltd. is a leading organization involved in providing solutions for automation in Indian and international markets. Laser Marking machines are one such equipment developed by them with customisation for various industries. Get in touch with our team of expert engineers for your industrial requirements.